HELP! Am I wearing my kilt properly?
Get ‘Dressed to Kilt’ in 8 easy steps:
- Put socks on first, make sure ribs are vertical and tops are parallel. Put the garter flashes on with the flashes to the outside of your leg. Ensure there is a 3 inch gap between the bottom of the kilt and the top of the socks.
- Put a sgian dubh down the right hand leg sock with about 1 inch showing
- Put gillie brogue shoes on, twist laces 3 times and take round back and front. Tie in a bow about 6 inches above the shoe. Now pop on your shirt and tie.
- Put your kilt on with the pleats to the back. Kilts should be snug fit sitting high on the waist. (underwear is not acceptable)
- Put your kilt pin in front apron only, at bottom right hand side looking down and 2 inches from the fringe.
- Put sporran on next and position correctly on front. Put chain strap through belt loops and fasten at back.
- Put belt and buckle over chain strap through belt loops and fasten with buckle to front. Then put your waistcoat & jacket on
- Now make sure you have a ‘wee dram’ in your sporran flask! (Assuming you are of legal drinking age of course.)
Still confused? Then watch our video, a step by step demonstration of how to wear your kilt correctly.
Now all that is left to do is enjoy yourself! Weddings, christenings, graduations, dinners, balls, ceilidhs whatever the occasion we love a good knees up here at Houston Kiltmakers.